I can't be the only one...

Talk about everything else here.
NooklearToaster

I can't be the only one...

Postby NooklearToaster » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:25 pm

I know that selling items will probably never be a part of the game, and I'm fine with that, but am I the only person who still picks up EVERYTHING off of enemies?

I mean, seriously, every weapon, every bit of clothing, every weird little thing I'll never use. I even keep half a dozen torches in the group inventory just in case I feel like equipping them (Do torches even do anything besides make me hold fire? Tom?).

I find that the clothes are often just a big wad at the end of the list, but you'd be amazed how many times I've gone and just done a wardrobe update on my team. Current favorite is giving everyone the dorky purple masks from the platforming world.

Steven Mewett

Re: I can't be the only one...

Postby Steven Mewett » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:13 am

I don't. I try to pick up only the things I can see myself using in the future. I pick up armour sets if I think I'll need them in the future, but those are carried by the characters that will use them, not in the general Inventory (It costs less time to suit up from their personal inventory, so I only burn one turn preparing for a heavy encounter, not two).

As a side note, I find it somewhat interesting that at some stage of a games life, there will be a topic on the game's forum that will have the title "I can't be the only one"

NooklearToaster

Postby NooklearToaster » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:10 am

I think the title applies because of how different the concept of zero item selling is. I'm still catching myself thinking "ooh, that looks expensive" when I find new things.

But you seriously don't grab everything? What if I lose half my team and replace them with bombers? What if I somehow wind up with 6 ranged dudes and want them all to dual wield crossbows? WHAT IF I PLAY ON WEDNESDAY AND DON'T HAVE ANYTHING PINK?!

Plus end game strategies, for me at least, have everyone pick up a second damage type or extended ability for versatility. Wooden/metal shields might not seem useful now, but when my jumper is god-tier and wielding 2 at once you'll take notice. Or a grenade in the off-hand of a gunner, in case he scouts around a castle corner and sees a nice tight cluster of enemies. Throwers in full armor are awesome since they don't need an aim action to set up accurate hits, and even a maxed out throw is still only mid-range so they catch some flak just doing their job. The more options you have, the more deadly you can be.

Edit: Also, it costs nothing to equip everyone from the party inventory once an area is cleared or you're safely in a town, having 2-3x the required materials is a great way to keep up an extended campaign AND it makes town attacks way less cumbersome/dangerous.
Last edited by NooklearToaster on Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steven Mewett

Postby Steven Mewett » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:56 am

If I think that a certain item will have a use down the road, it goes into my inventory. However low level weapons (like Pistols, knives etc) and clothing I leave alone. I keep any and all explosives and medical supplies I can get my mitts on, same goes for ammunition and I keep a spare set of weapons just in case. Teleporters are a little too random for me, so I ignore them and I use my characters starting clothing as a way to distinguish the roles I have available to me.

As for equipping armour, I know its a free action when the map is clear, but I tend to only equip armour when I need it, which tends to be when I'm room breaching, which has the potential for close ranged interrupts. Its a case of knowing that I'm going to take damage and taking steps to mitigate the amount of damage I take. I don't have armour equipped all the time because the time I would lose due to encumbrance isn't worth the few points of DR that the armour gives.

Also, regarding the title, it was a minor observation, that's all. Hell, I've made one myself.

Return to “General Discussion”