Custom Sound Effects Question.

Download mods and extra resources for the editor here. Also, feel free to post any questions you may have about the editing process.
ZedisDedBaby

Custom Sound Effects Question.

Postby ZedisDedBaby » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:47 pm

Howdy. I am very new to modding but I was just wondering if it is possible of adding custom sound effects for weapons etc in enemy? I occasionally design sound as a hobby and wanted to add my own sound effects to a few guns just to test it out for fun. I made my own sound effect for lazer2.wav and replaced the wav in the folder. Is there any other file that I need to replace/rename/edit to make it work as I couldn't find any appropriate files.

Tom Johnson
Site Admin

Re: Custom Sound Effects Question.

Postby Tom Johnson » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:29 pm

ZedisDedBaby wrote:Howdy. I am very new to modding but I was just wondering if it is possible of adding custom sound effects for weapons etc in enemy? I occasionally design sound as a hobby and wanted to add my own sound effects to a few guns just to test it out for fun. I made my own sound effect for lazer2.wav and replaced the wav in the folder. Is there any other file that I need to replace/rename/edit to make it work as I couldn't find any appropriate files.

Hi ZedisDedBaby! Just replacing the file should work just fine. One thing that could be causing problems is that the audio system is very particular about the format of the files it plays: for sound effects, it wants one channel (mono), 44100 samples per second, 16 bits per sample; and for streaming music and wind, the same but stereo. It may just not play the sound if they don't match that.

If you wanted to add new sounds, you may need to modify or add some entries in Enemy/items/base.xml or Enemy/media/sound/global_sounds.xml or Enemy/media/sound/default_character_sounds.xml depending on what kind of sound you would like to change.

I hope that helps! If you keep having problems, let me know. I'm happy to help.

ZedisDedBaby

Postby ZedisDedBaby » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:07 am

Thank for the reply Tom, switching to mono + 16bit fixed the problem I was having! Not that I don't love the retro sound effects but I am gonna enjoy adding my own sounds to things and probably stay up way too late playing the game (again)

Cheers.

ZedisDedBaby

Postby ZedisDedBaby » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:13 pm

Here's a few so far. The Mario one is just for fun and will be change but you get the idea.

Excuse the video issues. It's all about the audio anyway!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9tofKRe-dk

Tom Johnson
Site Admin

Postby Tom Johnson » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:53 am

Awesome, that sounds great! I like it a lot, sets a different tone. I look forward to hearing the rest of your work :)

ZedisDedBaby

Postby ZedisDedBaby » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:41 am

I'm glad you like it so far Tom! I have added a few more sounds and uploaded them online for download. With your consent of course, If it's a problem I will remove it.

Video with details
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRfuQS32P-A

D/L
http://www.4shared.com/rar/jhUCTBGPce/SFX.html?

(Just copy the extracted folder to Enemy/media/sound but please make sure you backup the SFX folder first (or the whole enemy folder just to be super safe) incase you want to revert back to default.)

I'm having a weird issue with cannons not having any sound even though I didn't change them, but I'll figure it out.

Tom Johnson
Site Admin

Postby Tom Johnson » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:51 am

The new sounds are great! You're absolutely welcome to share them in any way you would like. If you are still having trouble with cannon sounds, I may be able to take a look at it when the immediate post-release tasks have died down a bit. Maybe it's an xml parsing issue or just happened to expose a bug in the underlying code.

Return to “Mods and Editing”